Saturday, April 14, 2012

Blog over chapters 2-4 :)

After reading chapters 2,3 and 4 I have learned many things about Holden, the main character. To me Holden is like many teenagers now a days. He is not like the teens that always strive for their best or always wanting to learn. He is your "bad boy" rebellious type of teen. He likes to do what he wants and not care about what other think he should do. He also lies a lot and swears many many times. An example of that is in the third chapter he says this, "IM THE MOST terrific liar you ever saw on your life. It's awful.if I'm on my way to the store buy a magazine, even, and somebody asks where I'm going, I'm liable to say I'm going to the opera." This quote also shows that he doesn't take things seriously and doesn't care about things. When reading these chapters I found his personality to be kind of snotty and rude. Many times in these chapters he is very mean to people, he isn't afraid to say his opinion. "besides that he had a lot of pimples. Not just on his forehead and on his chin, like most guys, but all over his face. And not only that, he had a terrible personality. He was sort of a nasty guy. I wasn't too crazy about him, to tell you the truth."
I think I pass judgement on Holden because I think he brings a lot of things upon himself. He could be a good kid if he didn't smoke, mess around, and tried in school. He could like many other students stay in one school try hard and graduate. That's why I don't sympathize with him very much. I empathize only a little because I know that being a teenager is hard. It's not always fun learning and trying hard in school, it gets boring and tiring. But I think that you have to know when to start caring, which I don't think Holden knows that yet. "Do you feel absolutely no concern for your future, boy?" "Oh I feel some concern for my future, all right. Sure,Sure, I do," I thought about it for a minute. "But not too much, I guess. Not too much I guess."

2 comments:

  1. I can totally see why you would pass judgement on him. He does bring a lot of things on himself but I think this is because he is hurt. I think he is hurt by his parents, teachers and peers. He is always told that he isn't good enough, and I think he uses his "I'm too cool for this" attitude to hide his hurt. I also agree with you when you say that he could be a great kid if he just applied himself. Every teen has been told that before and its hard to make that change, but I believe it would be the best for Holden if he did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was reading this and I just thought that I'd give you something to think about, as to calling him snotty and rude. To me Holden gave off more of the hurt petulant type. He seems closed off to me, probably because of some deeper issues. So I was wondering if by possibly trying to empathize with him a little bit you could put yourself into his position and maybe instead of judging him so quickly stop to think more as to about why he is the way he is, or what makes him tick. What makes him so rude to the rest of the world? Did something happen to him that made him this way? I don't know, just something to think about.

    ReplyDelete