Sunday, April 29, 2012

Blog for week three

Blog for week three This quote found in the Gita is saying that it's better to be yourself and follow your rules then to be some one your not and fit in. This quote relates to Holden perfectly, he is the kind of person who doesn't follow the expected way to be a teenager. He is suppose to do good in school and go to college. That's what I feel like teenagers are expected to do. Holden does not conform to what society says he is suppose to be like. In the book this reminds me of the part where Holden is talking to Spenser about going school and his future. He talks about how he doesn't really care about what he is going to do in the future with school and other things. If I was Holden I would definitely be worried about school and my future. Another part where he seems like he doesn't care is when he is talking to Spencer about life being a game. ""Game, my ass. Some game. If you get on the side where all the hot-shots are, then it's a game, all right- I'll admit that." (Salinger8) I think he knows the so called rules but just doesn't want to play by those rules. I think that this quote goes way beyond this book and Holden. We should try to incorporate this quote in our lives in many ways. We should not conform to societies views of us, but live as yourself. There are some exceptions to this quote however. We can't go around making all our own rules, we still have to live by the "enforced rules". After looking and reading this quote in the Gita I thought I woukd look in the bible to try and find a verse that would related to Holden. 1corinthians 13:11 says, "When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me". This quote reminded me of Holden in many ways. Holden doesn't know when to be a child and when to act like an adult. He should learn from this verse. He should try to put his childish ways behind him if he wants to be an adult, but if he wants to be a child still it's ok. I do t think it's bad that Holden is childish, I just think it's bad that he is so immature though. I still think every adult has a little bit of a child still in them.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you. I don't think he wants to follow the rules either and he doesn't want to be like everyone else.. I liked the quotes you used and the quote you used from the bible. I wonder if Holden will ever become more mature. Great job! You did a very good job on picking quotes. They did a good job helping you get your point across!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with what you said about relating the Gita quote to Holden. I think it's interesting though about what you said about the bible verse. I don't think that Holden acts childish because he's immature. Like Ackley for example, he's kind of a socially awkward guy and doesnt really know when to stop being childish and weird and things like that. He's not aware of his own weirdness. I think that Holden acts like a child to avoid painful or too serious of conversations, but I do agree that if he wants to be an adult, and appear more adult like, then he does have to learn how to face his problems and talk things out with people rather than avoiding and steering the conversation in a more playful/less serious manner.

    ReplyDelete